Been working on a graphical update for my dissertation game, House Robot. The original sprites had just been placeholders really, so this time I made an effort and the sprite animations in particular look much better.
I’ve been working on a little doorman/bouncer simulator game, in C# using Unity 5. I’ve only been working on it a few days, but enjoying getting to grips with Unity (even though the game is created almost entirely in code, so I barely touched the main UI.) I’ve also spent some time improving my sprite creation skills, and I think my walking animations have improved a lot.
This week I’ve been improving upon the initial draft of my lit review, by adding additional references to back up points made and to provide a comparing and contrasting of viewpoints in the subject areas.
I’ve also been working on my sprite creation skills, and I’ve managed to draw a much better character sprite for my dissertation and his walking animation spritesheets. My former attempts had literally been created as fast as possible to get something working to test my game, but now I’m putting proper effort in to improve the visual aspect of the game.
Over the Christmas break I’ve been continuing to work on the lit review for my dissertation. I’m very close to finishing the entire first draft, so I should be on track to finish it by the end of this weekend.
I’ve also been working on my 3D animation assignment, and I’ve finished creating the rigged skeleton for my creature in 3DS Max. The next step will be to create the animations.
Last week I continued work on the first draft of my literature review. The section I worked on involved AI steering behaviours. I had initially decided to break my dissertation up into the three sections: dynamic difficulty, AI and player experience. However, after further thought, I’ve decided to drop the section on PX, so as to devote more effort to AI and pathfinding in particular, as PX had felt a bit tacked-on and devoting more research to pathfinding would better suit the dissertation since my accompanying game demo emphasizes it heavily. So now my three core topics are: dynamic difficulty, steering behaviours and pathfinding. I’m continuing work on it this week, and I’m aiming to have the first draft of my lit review done by the end of Christmas break.
Last week I finished off the first section of my literature review for my dissertation. This first section describes the various approaches to dynamic difficulty balancing in games. I also made a start on the second section which focuses on AI behaviours.
I also managed to create a basic 3D model for a creature I’m making for my 3D modelling class, using 3DS Max. 3D modelling is an area I’m not very experienced in, but after I got used to using the toolkit I found it quite enjoyable. Next I need to add more detail to the model and texture it.
Thought I would make a post about the demos in UE4 I’ve created. These are a bit old and basic, but I was just using the small projects to teach me the engine, so they’re not professional attempts in any sense of the word: